Internet hitting north of 2000 ping at the same times every night.

Cannot understand as to why recently my internet has suddenly been hitting ping spikes that consistently are over 2000-5000, in which it'll totally freeze any game I'm playing as well as make it impossible for anyone else in the house to load even a webpage.

This almost exclusively occurs from 9pm to about 2am every night, which are the times I'm using the Internet.

Never had a problem with Vivid until now. I live in the Donvale area of Melbourne.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix it? Will provide more details if needed.

Comments

Frosty-MODERATOR wrote 44 weeks ago

You'll be on the new LTE modem, yes? I don't think WiMAX would reach as far as Donvalue (I tested around the Doncaster area a few times and it could not get a signal).

Have you checked the Optus pages to see if there is maintenance going on in your area?

http://forum.vividwireless.com.au/forum/faqs-lte/faq-lte-checking-optus-...

Is it all internet traffic, or only 1 or 2 games affected?

What is www.speedtest.net telling you about your connection? Worth running a test in the morning (say 9am) to compare against evenint 9pm to see if there is a big difference, which might indicate congestion. I'm doubtful that Donvale would have congestion issues. Possible I suppose?

ramgill wrote 44 weeks ago

Hey Frosty.

On the outage front, just had a look and the two closest to me are fine. The problem affects all internet traffic, Youtube will struggle to load videos at 144p, pictures won't load on most web pages etc.

Did a speedtest at midnight last might, and hit 2.4K ping, 1.44 down and 0.09 up.

Doing a speedtest now though gives me 10.10 down, and about 1 up.

Yeah, like you I doubted it being congestion, so I thought it'd be worth asking.

Frosty-MODERATOR wrote 44 weeks ago

Does look like congestion.
Maybe there is an outage further away, that is pushing more customers on to your tower.
If that's the case, then it will get better.
If not, if this is the "new normal", then not much which can be done, other than report this back through vividwireless support and hope that eventually some capacity upgrades improve things in the area.

Warning
In participating in this forum you agree not to post or authorise others to post any material that is in our opinion offensive, defamatory, inaccurate, harassing, threatening, invasive of the privacy of others, sexually explicit or illegal. You also agree that you will not post or authorise others to post any copyright material that is not owned or licensed to you. In the event of any breach of this Policy we reserve the right to remove the post without notice to you.

Disabling comments and removing posts
Should we consider a thread or comment in violation of this Policy, we reserve the right to immediately remove part of or entire posts. We also reserve the right to disable, remove or archive posts that have been dormant for 14 days.

Member Login