New $90 plan. 12/1Mbps

I just found out our home page shows a new plan for $90 unlimited and download and upload speeds of up to 12/1Mbps.

My question is I am an old user from $89 unlimited plan before, should I manually upgrade to this plan to get 12/1Mbps or old user $89 plan automatically upgrade to 12/1Mbps speed? Thanks.

Comments

ozzcaddy-MODERATOR wrote 1 year ago

You stay on your old Plan for $89 but you will have the 12/1Mbps speed. So in your case, you would be saving $1 p/month by staying on your old plan.

Previously there were multiple types of plans for Vividwireless customers could sign up to, depending on what suited their usage. Vividwireless changed that recently to only 2 types of plans which is what is shown now. Saying that, older customers remain on the existing plans unless they change but still have 12/1Mbps speed..

So if someone such as myself who is on a cheaper plan with 20Gb a month wanted a plan with greater monthly usage, I could only upgrade to one of the two available plans. However, once I did that, ALL the previous other plans that were available including the one I upgraded from would no longer be available, only the 2 Plans offered now.

Hope that answers your question.

Ozzcaddy

malike wrote 1 year ago

Thanks, Ozzcaddy.

TheStapler wrote 51 weeks ago

Hi Ozzcaddy,

Im on an old plan and still only get 10mbps. I have 4 bars of signal and always download at10mbps anytime of the day. My question is does vivid have to change something on the tower im connected to, To get 12mbps?

ozzcaddy-MODERATOR wrote 51 weeks ago

Hi TheStapler.

I didn't need to do anything to achieve the 12/1 speed, it just automatically happened.

Which Old Plan are you on?

Also, what Suburb/Postcode are you in?

Can you login to your modems interface http://192.168.0.1/html/home.html
Login/Password = admin/admin

Click on Settings Tab
Click on Dial-up > Network Settings

What is the Preferred Mode Value?

TheStapler wrote 51 weeks ago

Hi ozzcaddy

Im on the $89 unlimited plan.
Mode value set to 2300mhz only.
Post code 2564
Macquarie fields NSW

Thanks for the information requested.

I looked on the Optus Network Service map, and the towers in the immediate Macquarie Fields area are all OK. There is one tower in the Minto area that has a problem, but I would suspect the users that normally connect to that tower would be redirected to towers that are closer than the towers at Macquarie Fields. When this does happen, congestion can occur due to the increase of users, and this affects speeds.

In the meantime, can you do speed tests in the morning and evening so to have a better idea of your speeds at different times of day. Also, use www.Speedtest.net to do the test on, if not already doing so.

This doesn't answer your question about why your not getting 12/1 speeds, but it is information that I can pass on to people at Vividwireless next week.

@ TheStapler,

Can you also log back into the modem and provide ALL the information shown on the Home Page under Device Status (right-hand side).

This information provides your Modems ID, Cell_ID (tower), and the signal stats for your connection.

Thanks,

Ozzcaddy

@The Stapler,

I was just going through previous information that Frosty and Myself had received from Vividwireless, regarding new plan changes, increase max speed to 12/1, just to make sure that I had not overlooked anything, in case what I have said may be incorrect.

I found this small paragraph about customers on 2300MHz and increase max speed to 12/1.

"The max download speed is increasing from 10Mbps to 12Mbps for customers on 2300Mhz spectrum but there is no guarantee that any customer will either notice or receive a different actual speed".

So the actual download speed that you are currently getting, might be the speed that you will only obtain, even though the max download speed has been increased to 12/1.

Ozzcaddy

TheStapler wrote 50 weeks ago

Device status
IMSI : 505025505144325
ICCID: 8961025515448633464F
IMEI: 866854020465137
WAN IP Address: 49.2.160.27
CELL_ID: 36043795
RSRP: -86dBm (Good)
RSRQ: -6dB (Excellent)
RSSI: -61dBm
SINR: 21dB (Excellent)

Frosty-MODERATOR wrote 50 weeks ago

So when you say that you only get 10Mbps, do you mean that when you run a speed test (preferably at an off-peak time, like 7-8am or similar):

(1) usually you get right up to 10Mbps, or just under that, but never more than that; or

(2) occasionally you see more than 10Mbps but usually it is less than that

Your post #3 above would indicate that option #1 is what you're experiencing.

Just trying to establish whether you are truly seeing a "hard limit" or whether you're just at the limit of what your signal or tower can handle (which I would expect to see fluctuate from time to time).

If it really is option #1 all the time, then I think we should pass your IMEI along to vividwireless and ask them to have a look both at your modem and also at the tower you usually connect to, just to be sure that something odd is not happening.

ozzcaddy-MODERATOR wrote 50 weeks ago

They are the best signal stats that I have seen since we went to the LTE Modem. It will be interesting to see the speeds that you achieve at the different times of the day.

These are my signal stats taken at 6.40am today, and as you can see nowhere as good as yours and I'm in Alexandria.

RSRP: -103dBm (Moderate)
RSRQ: -7dB (Excellent)
RSSI: -79dBm
SINR: 11dB (Moderate)

I also did a speed test using speedtest.net:

Ping: 20ms
Download: 11.14Mbps
Upload: 0.84Mbps

Check out my @Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3490948955

That is at my place. I think the tower im connecting to is beaming the data wirelessly to another tower and then onto fibre network.
My ping used to be 19ms-20ms a few 3 months ago now the lowest i get is 30ms and is not congested.
Also with optus for mobile and samething 30ms at 150mbps.

At my parents inlaws now and taken the modem and here is the speed test.
Check out my @Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3498743146

So it looks like the issue is the tower im connected too. Since nbn had started work running cable through the pits the ping gone to shit. So maybe they damage the fibrer to the tower.

What Suburb/Postcode are your in-laws in?

Vividwireless modems only connect on a wireless network, not a fibre network.

I am thinking your speed problem at Macquarie Fields is being caused by congestion at the tower.

Anything is possible with NBN and its rollout/installation.

Its not congestion. I max out 10mbps 95% of the time. It doesn't matter what time of the day or night it is. The ping is 30ms to 40ms.

Inlaws
2559 claymore

Vivid is connected to a fibre network once reaches the tower.

Just did another speed test again at my place.

Check out my @Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3501146915

@ The Stapler,

Thanks for latest speed test result.

I would agree with Frosty's Option 1 in his Post #10. I think we should refer your IMEI (Modem ID) to Vividwireless as Frosty suggested to have them look at your connection and see if there are any actual problems. It doesn't appear to be a problem with the modem as you achieved 11.28Mbps at your in-laws place at Claymore.

I'll wait for Frosty's view on this latest speed test, and if he agrees to send to Vividwireless.

Happy to refer this issue, so I will send an email to my contacts now and see what they think.

EDIT: email sent

Ok thanks for the help fingers cross

I've gotten a quite detailed response back. There are also some suggestions for further testing that I can pass along to you via email. Is the Hotmail email address you have registered here with your Forums account working okay? If it is, I'll send you some information.

So first things first: on the vividwireless network, it is confirmed that you're configured to receive up to 12Mbps/1Mbps. Please note that this is a potential maximum, however it is not guaranteed and is site/situation dependent.

On the Optus network, due to the way things are set up, it is not possible for an individual or even a tower to have a different configuration from "everyone else". There are settings of course, which limit bandwidth for "all vividwireless customers" to maximum 12/1 however it is known that these are set correctly (demonstrated by others in your state getting 12/1 for example).

Having looked at your actual stats from the modem, it was noticed that latency is high (nearly double) when you are connecting from @home, even though signal is good. This would impact performance in testing.

I will send you an email to the Hotmail address. Let me know if you get it.

Got the email thanks. About to read it
I use to get a 17-20ms ping all the time about 3 months ago but now lowest is 30ping doesn't matter what time it is.

Thanks ... lets go to email for now and see where the testing takes us ... I have forwarded on your new test results to vividwireless this morning, along with your comment (above) about latency.

lion007 wrote 48 weeks ago

I am having a similar issue, my speeds used to be consistent at around 9mbps to 9.4mbps, ever since the new 12mbps speeds have come into effect my connection maxes out around 8.8mbps.

Could this please be looked into?

Speedtest latency: 21ms

Device status
IMSI : 505024600209249
ICCID: 8961024616417042421F
IMEI: 866854021735173
WAN IP Address: 49.2.56.81
CELL_ID: 35863579
RSRP: -94dBm (Good)
RSRQ: -6dB (Excellent)
RSSI: -69dBm
SINR: 19dB (Good)

Frosty-MODERATOR wrote 48 weeks ago

That sounds to me like your connection is/was already at its maximum possible?

Have you tried the whole "move the modem around" dance already? Including very small rotations of the modem, to see if just slight changes can improve the signal at all?

Warning
In participating in this forum you agree not to post or authorise others to post any material that is in our opinion offensive, defamatory, inaccurate, harassing, threatening, invasive of the privacy of others, sexually explicit or illegal. You also agree that you will not post or authorise others to post any copyright material that is not owned or licensed to you. In the event of any breach of this Policy we reserve the right to remove the post without notice to you.

Disabling comments and removing posts
Should we consider a thread or comment in violation of this Policy, we reserve the right to immediately remove part of or entire posts. We also reserve the right to disable, remove or archive posts that have been dormant for 14 days.

Member Login